From:
judy genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:06:31 -0500
Well, I knew my last post to our newbie might generate some comments, and
I'm glad it did.  So, I'd like to add some more fuel to the fire, or put
another way, open up a valve (what a great image, Philip!)

The only benefit to having had Hodgkins Lymphoma that I can come up with is
that I am forced to get lots of mandatory blood checks, the results of which
I find very interesting.  So, everytime they want to poke and prod, I demand
a full blood lipid report.  This allows me to test the principle of Paleo
eating on myself, and monitor, to some extent, the effects of tweaking my
diet.

I would like to share the results of the last 4 test, which have all been
EXACTLY THE SAME, and which  cover a 12 month period of Paleo eating.  Each
test is done following  a 12 hour food and liquid fast.  Before some tests,
I make sure to eat the FATTIEST foods I can find up until the last possible
minute of allowable eating, the night before.  SO, I  include at least 2-3
whole eggs, 4-8 ounces of pemmican, either lamb chops or pork ribs,
macadamia nuts,   almond butter and maybe some coconut milk. Then I go to
bed, and do the test first thing in the morning....  Sometimes, I go very
low carb (omitting all fruit and limiting veggies to salads the day before).
  Othertimes, I will carbo load with paleo approved foods, like 2-3 bananas
drenched in almond butter plus yams (oops, a no no) added to a full day of
eating fattier meats, eggs & pemmican.

Here are the same consistant readings.  ALso, my blood pressure is 100/60,
and my weight is 118 at 5'4". My blood glucose is always low too.

TOTAL CHOL. 188

HDL ("good") 88
LDL ("bad")  100
Triglycerides 34* <"acceptable" range at Sloan Kettering is 50-140>
HDL/TOTAL CHOL RATIO 2.34

SO, the triglyceride number is always marked with an asterisk, to alert the
person reading my chart that something is out of range.  THe first question
I always get is:  "ARE YOU ON A NO FAT DIET".  The second question to my
answer of "No", is "WELL WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU EATING, AND WHATEVER IT IS,
KEEP IT UP!"

Before I became a cavegirl, I was a macrobiotic (almost vegan) and my total
cholesterol was 125, mostly comprised of LDL, with hardly any HDL.  Then, I
toyed with adding lots of raw fermented dairy and game  to my grain heavy
diet.  My cholesterol shot up to 220, (120 HDL and 100 LDL.) and my
triglycerides were 88.  Then I got sick, and that's basically where this
story starts...

I'd like to ask Ray what is the average cholesterol level of typical hunter
gatherers?  Also, I was wondering Ray, if you ever had your blood lipids
checked, and if you might be willing to share the results?

Also, Todd, have you thought about high Vit. C  supplementation as a way to
lower triglycerides?  I was just reading through Dr. Atkin's Age Defying
Diet Revolution, and he has some interesting thoughts about ways to lower
LDL and triglycerides.  Also, have you checked your thyroid levels lately -
especially TSH?

I am not suggesting that everyone follow my version of paleo eating.  But I
do find it interesting to test some of the principles of Neanderthin.  And I
do recall Ray stating that one of the common errors of newbies is to deny
themselves the amount of fat necessary to provide adequate energy.  I also
recall Ray mentioning that the way to increase LDL (in something like 6
weeks...) was to increase grain consumption.  I don't have my book nearby,
or I'd be more accurate.  But I am curious Todd, if you may be indulging in
too many carbs, like potatoes, etc. Then again,  you may be doing everything
"to the letter", and perhaps, the reason for your elevated triglycerides has
to do with other factors (Atkins mentions cytomegalic virus among other
hidden causes as instigators of heart and circulatory degeneration).

I think it might be interesting for other members to share their before and
after switching to Paleo stories..... I bet it would be very helpful for the
newcomers to this list.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl