From:
John & Donna McPartlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:17:00 -0500

Hi,

I have 2 children. My 5-yr-old daughter was blood test/biopsy diagnosed
celiac at 15mos.  My son has never been diagnosed, or exposed to gluten
(intentionally) and is GF.  My son has a terrible cough. I took him to
the pedi and he prescribed Robitussin with Codeine.  Before I had it
filled, I called the pharmacy to find out the manufacturer of the
Generic brand, so I could find out if it's GF. I called Alpharma and
spoke with a woman there who told me it has alcohol in it and they don't
declare if the alcohol is GF or not. I asked her "why" and she said
"because we're not required to". She was so rude.  So, after lots of
phone calls, I got the info for AH Robins to find out if the plain
Robitussin with Codeine is GF and they weren't sure, had to check with
the lab and get back to me. This was at 4:15PM EST.  I asked her if
she'd get back to me that day, she didn't, I explained it was for my 2
yr old.

I called back the pedi and explained my situation.  He said that because
John has never been diagnosed with Celiac, and because he really needs
the med, the risk outweighs the effects, if any, of the possibility of
gluten in the meds.

I had it filled and gave it to him last night.  No signs of a reaction.
Does anyone know if AH Robins Robitussin with Codeine is GF?

Also, now I'm wondering if I should have him tested?  And how do I go
about doing that with my 5-yr-old in the house.  She never had the
repeat endoscopy or gluten challenge.  She just improved so much since
going strictly GF, and the whole diagnosis of her was such a nightmare,
I never went back.  She has had 2 repeat blood tests though and they
have come back normal so she's probably not ingesting gluten
unknowingly, correct?  Is it fair to him, not to have him tested?  It
hasn't been an issue up to this point, my house is GF.

What should I do?  Sorry for rambling.

Donna
Tyngsboro, MA