From:
eric p. bessem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:17:33 -0800

Dear members,

Thank you for all of your thoughtful responses.  As a refresher, I am a
non-diagnosed celiac living great gf for 11/2 years.  My five year old
daughter has had intermittent diarrhea and abdominal pain without
illness for two months.  Blood work was done, with only IGG positive of
69.

Replies received:

From  a prominent medical lab: IGG is a marker for gluten sensitivity
and the need for a gluten free diet.  Implied that there was no other
reason for the high IGG

My child's Pediatric GI which she saw for the first time, said that a
friend of hers does research on celiac and that with only high IGG, she
has been using a marker of anything over 40, should have endoscopy.  (So
69 is very high)

From a mother with celiac, who has several children, IGG only high, both
were negative to endoscopy.  Said that many things cause high IGG,
including allergies, illness, nothing at all, even.

Another mother said she regretted not having her child biopsies when it
might have shown positive results.  Now, it is so hard to go back and
change the diet etc.

 A couple of members suggested that both my daughter and myself need to
find out if we have IGA deficiency.  I don't believe that she was tested
for that.

And finally,several of you have similar situations and asked for any
information  that I may find out , I will email again when I have more
information.

Thank you
Maria