From:
Ken Hollingsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:25:01 -0700
Mary,
    Although the computer is relatively new (1 year or so), I had problems
with the first MB.  It got to where it wouldn't read off the primary IDE
connector.  It had an AMD K-600? CPU.  While having the MB replaced,
I went for the P3 described in my first letter.
    Even though my CDRW, an HP 9300i says it's a 10 x 4 x 32, I found that
after running the tests that come with EZ CD Creator that 10x wasn't an
option.
It did tell me that 6x, 4x, and 2x were options.  Giving it every chance, I
tried
2x.  At this point, I'm not at all certain that is the problem anymore.
    To answer your questions for further information...  I tried the burn
with the
files on the D:\, which is a WD HDD, unknown speed (if that applies here?),
and also on the new Maxtor, which is a 7200 RPM.
    I did find that, by default, in the HP setup, it had assigned the
C:\Windows\Temp
as it's Temp location, and had set the size of the buffer at 1 mb.  I
changed that to the
known faster HD, F:\, and increased the buffer size to 7 mb.  I no longer
think that is
the problem.  While attempting the burn, the counter that reports the buffer
size never
got below 84%, and that only happened once.  Generally, it stayed around
95%.
    A friend suggested that it might be the software, so I'm looking into
some other
brands to try.
Thanks to all who responded.  Your suggestions were helpful, and I have
attempted
to check all your suggested problems.
Ken Hollingsworth