From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:45:28 -0500
I went back in my folder for PC-build, and re-read your other seven
posts before this one, and now I understand your objective better.
I am assuming you were always talking about the same computer in
all your posts since 11/05/2000.
There are three "questions" left after I "snipped" some of your answers.
I will mix in my replies to those.

> I also went to Fujitsu for info on the harddrive and found out that
> my Hdd is listed as having 3.24Gb of storage and it only says in my computer
> that it is 2.1Gb. Where did the other 1.1Gb go?

This could be a BIOS limitation, or maybe someone never finished fdisking and
formatting the drive.  (See more on this later...)
Did you run fdisk "Display Partition Information", (only), to
see what the system sees when "it" looks at the drive?
If there is only one physical hard drive in the system, does it have two drive letters?
The options and numbers in fdisk change if there is more than one physical drive. Be careful.
Due to "other" limitations, the capacity might have been broken down into "chunks"
of 2.1G and what ever is left over at the end...
Do not "play" with fdisk unless the drive is EMPTY or you want it to be that way...

>The Boot disk accessed the cdrom by itself and asked for the master cd .

Accessing the CD I can understand. Asking for the Master CD sounds like
something a "big computer company" boot disk would do during a restore.
I had been talking about NoSpin WEB site Boot Floppies.
I am unclear about where you got your Boot Disk, and therefore what files may
(or may not) be on it.  I was under the impression you were working in Win95 "B".
This is the rental company restore CD disk and a matching Boot Floppy from it?
These can be very different from "normal or default"...
This effects the next question.

>Am I going to have to make a boot floppy without cd support to format the harddrive.

If your your hard drive is "empty" or you want it that way, look on your boot floppy
for the files fdisk, and format.  If they are there, you have everything you need
to set-up the drive but you will be limited to ALL of the limitations of the BIOS
and the limitations of the restore program/batch files...
If you are using a restore Boot Floppy with a restore "factory" or "store burnt" CD
"USED AS A PAIR" then everything "should!!" be provided. (See next part...)

This brings up a question of my own for other members of the list.
In a totally automatic "restore" would a batch file command to fdisk and format the
hard drive "sort of" skip adding the extended partition and the extra logical drive?,
(loosing the space that seems to be missing?...)

You have an interesting situation here, and you are becoming aware of the limitations
of having "only" a restore CD, and not a full copy of the Operating System CD.
If the computer did not come with the hard drive that is in there now, I can sort
of guess what may be happening during a restore to a bigger hard drive...
Anybody else want to "pick up the torch" on that theory?
                     Rick Glazier
PS: If most of your conditions are as I have "guessed", I would not rush into erasing
your harddrive just yet...

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html