BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:43:51 EDT
In a message dated 6/28/00 5:59:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> But I would like to hear from others about how yahoo, hotmail, etc., stack
up
>  with regards to address book, mail folders, etc.

At work I use AOL. I HATE the AOL e-mail folder and, unless I am simply
ignorant of the software, the lack of automatic filtering messages into
separate file areas. At home I use a netscape browser on a direct ISP and
much prefer the ability to use e-mail filters and set up categories for
storage of more stuff than I can handle with AOL's crude package. I have made
heavy use of the AOL webspace for like 5 years now, but webspace can be had
for free without it. I do like the multiple addresses for individual users,
means more people can use the account when you are not using it. I rarely if
ever use any of the other services of AOL and tend to connect direct to the
I-way.

I will not ever again use MSN. They were too heavy on the graphics and when
you are pushing through a 56K straw it costs too much to see pretty
graphics... I go back to non-graphic telecommunication days and all the
graphics is like an OD on sugar coating for me -- give me raw info and I'm
happy. It also irritates me that MSN pushed their technology with obfuscated
defaults such that I could not get MSN cleared off the computer for months.

I used to have Compuserve, and kept it for the vanity of having an early ID
number. AOL was easier to use. Prodigy did not make it for me, too many ads,
which also bum me out with AOL. Every time you sign on to AOL you see an ad
for some more useless crap.

I tried an ultra-cheap ISP ($5.00 p/mnth) and it was a real bummer. Hardest
part was that I had to cancel the service by contacting the credit card
company and after several months getting them to cancel payments. I could not
find a way to call a human to cancel the account.

Currently I use, at home, Bell/Atlantic... problem is during the week it is
regional calling to connect, so I only connect on weekends when we have free
regional. I ran up $100 p/mnth phone charges, on top of the $20 IPS charge,
before I realized we were getting the hit. Talk about pissed.

My leaning now is to wait for cable. Short of that, go w/ one of the larger
long-distance phone networks or AOL.

][<en