From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:23:38 -0500

Here is what I received from Celiac Canada:

regarding nutrition labeling, I received this message:

Thank you for your inquiry. Although the review on
nutrition labelling focussed on labelling the nutrient
content of foods, a separate initiative on the
labelling of allergenic foods and their derivatives is
currently underway within the Food Directorate of
Health Canada.

Under this regulatory initiative, it is proposed that
specific foods and their derivatives would always be
identified in the list of ingredients of prepackaged
foods, when they are present as ingredients or
components. These include grains containing gluten,
namely: wheat, spelt, kamut, oats, barley, rye and
triticale, as well as peanuts, tree nuts, sesame,
milk, eggs, fish, crustaceans, shellfish, and soy.

This priority list of food constituents known to cause
serious adverse reactions in Canadians was developed
in consultation with the medical community including
the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical
Immunology, the Allergy/Asthma Information Association
and the Canadian Celiac Association.

It is expected that proposals will be published in
Canada Gazette Part I in the coming months, at which
time stakeholders will have further opportunity to
comment.

Thank you for your interest in this important
initiative.

Nutrition Evaluation Division

I would suggest you, who are in Canada to send a e-mail urging them to
enforce this project.

Here is where to send it:

The URL is:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/nutrition/labels/index.html

Click on "contact us" at the bottom, and a comments
form will load.

Mireille, Waterloo Que.