From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:17:50 -0500

Hi, everyone

Once again, discussion on this listserv has engendered a question of my
own.  I have been GF (and starch free) for over 6 months.  I have also
undergone treatment for a parasite (giardia) recently.  Will have
follow-up testing in ~ 1 week to see if the giardia has been eliminated.
 But I am still experiencing bloating.

For years (pre- and post-GF, as well as pre- and post giardia treatment)
I have had daily bloating.  I am "flattest" when I first get up in the
morning.  I usually look like I'm around 3-4 months pregnant, and
menstruation exacerbates everything!  I don't know why this fermentation
process is happening.  Is it because my intestines are now so damaged
that they cannot efficiently process my food, or is there still some
bacterial overgrowth present?  By the way, I simply cannot tolerate
probiotics.  When I take them my intestines feel "inflamed."  As far as
enzymes go, they have increased bloating for me.  I'm still essentially
exercise intolerant -- a little bit is all I can take.  I would say that
I started having "active" problems around 1992, and a real "crisis"
level since 1997.  I am not biopsy diagnosed, but I have a family
history of intestinal lymphoma and a full range of symptoms (including
neurological ones) when I eat gluten.

Is it possible to be healing despite bloating, or do you think bloating
signals that there is another process besides celiac that needs to be
addressed?  I am under the care of a good doctor, but I would just like
feedback from you folks.  Although I have made some progress, nothing I
have tried seems to eliminate bloating.

Thanks for your replies!  I'll summarize.

Latimer
NYC