From:
lauren a. lindsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:38:45 -0700

Thank you so much for all who responded-16 in all.

Over and over again I read responses from people who
had experienced the same thing-weight gain prior to being
diagnosed and weight loss after going gf.  Most people said
that  they lost 10-15 pounds in a few months.

Six people were overweight to begin with.

Four people were at a normal weight.

Four people were underweight. (I found this interesting because Lynn
said that Dr. Hovarth at U. Md says 1/3 of celiacs are underweight
before diagnosis and 1/3 are normal weight and 1/3 are overweight)

As for the explanation as to why this happens I got a few
different thoughts on that:

"A release from water and toxin retention and gas"

"My theory is that our celiac bodies are desperately hanging
on to every calorie to get as much nourishment as they can,
when our digestive tracts are damaged by the disease.

When our bodies can digest more normally, the extra weight
can go away."

"I was thinking for me it was probably because I used to eat alot
of fast food which I am now unable to do."

"Our bodies tend to hoard fuel when what goes through is poor
(economy gas); Now that you are eating Premium fuel
(gluten free) and your body can release some of the stored
goods since it can deal with the food you are eating."

"When gluten poisons a person with celiac disease it makes the
liver unhealthy and therefore weight gain."

"My personal opinion is that the gluten was shutting down my
system and acting as a drug causing me to fall asleep.  Since
you don't burn as many calories when you are sleeping
essentially it was slowing down my metabolism.  Since I have
been gf I have more energy and do not fall asleep after dinner.
Therefore, I burn more calories and thus the weight loss."

"Wheat makes me retain water and gain weight."

"My guess for the weight loss is the lack of carbohydrates
from not eating bread and pasta anymore."

Well, that's it!

Thank you to all who responded!

Lauren