From:
Alistair Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:48:53 +1100

Hi All,

The concensus is that two weeks gluten free is enough to cause a false
negative biopsy.  The replies I received were:

    Can cause false negative biopsy:        10
    Won't cause false negative biopsy:      0

Another 10 or so replies offered the suggestions summarized below and great
support.

No one was able to point to any formal/scientific investigation into the
recovery rates of villi.

The other suggestions/comments were:

* Yeast overgrowth (Candida) could also be a factor.

* Being anemic can be indicative of Celiac disease.

* Check for other food allergies.  Skin tests may not be sufficient.  A
blood test is available, see www.betterhealthusa.com.

* Negative results could come from "patchy" damage caused by gluten.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Cheers,

Alistair Grant