From:
Richard Geoffrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:30:56 -0000
Hi All,

Any Packard Bell Computer Experts out there ?

A few days ago I bought a new 20gb WD205BA H/D
to replace the 3.3gb Fujitsu drive in my Packard Bell
(Club 40B)Computer, it has a Media Trainer-2 Pegasus
(biostar motherboard) Sis5598 Chipset,
Award Bios V4.51PG the bios number on bootup is
2A5IIB0B.  The motherboard will support LBA,
but only UDMA33,  the O/S is Windows98.

I set the bios to Auto Detect the drives, configured
the 3.3gb drive as primary master and my new drive as
primary slave, both drives were on the same cable IDE1.
I then put the DLGTOOLS disk in drive A: switched on
the computer, selected EZ-Install and followed the
on screen prompts, all seemed ok, I thought I had an
Image copy of my 3.3gb drive, as the screen prompt said
 " Hard Drive Setup Complete, Partitioned/Formatted
and ready for use, Press ESC to restart computer", I then
switched off the computer, disconnected both drives and
reinstalled the WD205BA with jumpers set as Single
Drive, I wanted to finish up with 1 partition on the drive,
removed the DLGTOOLS disk from drive A: and rebooted
the computer.  The screen came up with "Disk Write Error"

I have temporary reinstalled the 3.3gb drive, all is working
ok, as has been for the last 2 years.

Have never had problems upgrading or fitting hard drives
before in other makes of computers, but this
Packard Bell, has me beat !

I am not sure, but I think Packard Bell Computers install
hidden data config files (tattoo.exe ?) in sectors on the
hard disk which the Bios looks for on bootup and if
installing from the PB master CD,s

Wonder if anyone has had the same problem upgrading
a Packard Bell Computer with a Larger Hard Drive ?
if so, I would be very interested to now how you got over
the problem and how you transfered the (tatoo.exe) and
config files to the new Hard Disk ? ?

Any advice appreciated,

Thank you,

Richard.