From:
Michael C Soto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:13:22 -0700
Hello,

I agree with you Carroll regarding Compaq using proprietary cases, (Grr I
hate those large computer mfg's)., and Michael I'm happy to see that you
are interested to start building your own PCs. It really is fairly
simple, and it's well worth the extra effort. It's much more rewarding to
know that you assembled your own PC. All of your components sound fine,
and I would recommend that you stick with the Intel Pentium III. Athlon's
have been known in the past to have some compatibility issues, and
although they may a resolved issue, it's probably better to play it safe
for your first computer (It would be very frustrating for you to put the
PC together, and then it won't boot).

Also, the  meaning of the terms AT and ATX form factor is those are
guidelines for how a motherboard and case are to be designed - the
physical dimensions of the board, placement of the ports on the back, and
arrangement of the motherboard components. Your Compaq case is probably
neither AT nor ATX - it's probably a design Compaq conjured up in their
own little dream world... But anyways, it's best to go with an ATX case
and ATX motherboard - those are most common nowadays.  Oh, and also, make
sure you get at least a 250W power supply, and if you do decide to go
with Athlon, make sure you get an Athlon approved power supply - those
things use a lot of power, and are very picky about the quality of power
they get.

OH! Sorry this email's kinda scattered, but they've got some really,
really cool cases at http://www.colorcase.com if you're interested.

And, I think that's about all I've got to say about it. Good luck, and
Godspeed. :)

- Hawk166_PWR (Michael Soto)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.