C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:10:13 EDT
I don't disagree with you Kelly, and do not mean to suggest that parents are
influencing their own children to believe that animals have more of a right
to inhabit the planet than do humans.  At least, I have not met any parents
who think that way.

If I misspoke myself, I apologize.  The subject heading I choose undoubtedly
contributed, but I didn't mean that I think there is an adversarial
relationship.  The comment I wish to make is that there seems to be a strong
influence from animal rights groups who would have us buy into that notion in
favor of the animals.  I once thought that way myself.

There are many things we can do to demonstrate our love of wildlife and the
environment.  We can buy shade grown (or "canopy") coffee, and use beneficial
insects rather than chemicals to control pests in our gardens.  We can refuse
to use chemical deicers in the winter, and refuse to buy cosmetics that were
tested on animals.  We can recycle, and use the "greenest" possible cleaning
products in our homes.  The list of environmentally friendly things we can do
is exhaustive.  Just when I think I've got it right, I discover something new
I should change.  I do think it's important to make these changes when
possible.

If I am to be completely honest however, I will say that I don't assign the
same level of importance to animals that I do to humans.  If a human has a
need and an animal has a need, I will be inclined to help the human first.
That is why I no longer speak on behalf of animal rights.  The needs of too
many people with disabilities are grossly neglected.  Unlike animals and the
environment, their advocacy support is severely limited, and sometimes
nonexistent.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I am aware that our environment is in
terrible trouble.  The rate of species extinction is significantly more than
it would be had we not decimated our planet.  Reproductive hazards such as
DDT have caused the same birth defects in avian and reptilian populations as
it has in humans.  DDT is still being used in some countries.  Hopefully
though, we are moving in a positive direction to alter our course and reverse
some of the damage.

There are too few disability rights advocates for me to concentrate on
environmental issues and animal rights, however.  I only have this one life,
and what little I can contribute during its course will be on behalf of
humans, particularly humans with disabilities.

As much as anything, I am saying this long-winded thing to remind myself of
my obligations.  I am trying to get back on track.

Betty
(Proud owner of Peripheral Neuropathy, Hearing Impairment, Tourette's, and
most importantly, Virtual CP)