From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 20:11:59 -0800
I am running a Adaptec 2906 on a BX6 rev2 with a Toshiba SCSI 32 speed CDR
and a scanner. The 2906 is made for supporting CD , DVD, Scanners, and
portable drives so it is perfect for your needs. While you could run slower
hard drives it is not really a hard drive controller.

I also have a 2940 with another Toshiba SCSI 32 speed CDR on a old Tomcat
3. The 2940 can handle hard drives and you can boot from it. Either one
will do the job you require. I think you have the right idea about the
brand. Adaptec is a well respected company for SCSI controllers and you can
count on new driver support. Any Adaptec PCI controller will handle
whatever bandwidth a CD ROM , DVD, or portable drive require. It is when
you start adding a hard drive that performance becomes important...and
expensive.

Check out EBAY. You will see all kinds of Adaptec controllers ..many OEM. I
got my 2940 for 23.05 with a internal SCSI cable and manual !

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>This is for those of you whom I know are pretty proficient in the SCSI
>arena. I am in the market for a CD-RW, and am pretty well set on the new
>Plextor 12-10-32S SCSI with Burn Proof. I am going to change my CD-ROM at
>the same time, presently a Toshiba 32 ATAPI. This would end my need for IDE.
>I am going to add a new host adapter to run the CDs, scanner and Possibly
>the Zip drive, but the Zip may go by the wayside as I don't trust it for
>anything.
>My system is now, ABIT BX6 r1 with an AHA-2940UW with 3-4.5GB UW HDDs. I am
>running my HP 4C and Zip off this card as well now, (Much to Bill C's
>dismay) but it works. Things will be properly terminated of course.
>My questions are:
>1. Is an AHA-2906 a good choice for this or would a 2930 be better? 2910? I
>may like the 2910 if I can find it as it is a 50pin external connector.
>2. Is there any advantage to using the Plextor Ultra Plex 40Max (50pin) or
>the Ultra Plex 40 Wide (68pin)? The 50 pin would save me some $$ in cabling.
>Is there any hit in having the CD-ROM on a different host adapter then the
>CD-RW?
>Brad Loomis

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html