From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:22:41 -0600
>I have also read about a PCI card I can get to allow interface as ATA100.
Questions: What MB size limitations do I need to worry about to begin with.

  I imagine your motherboard controllers will see the drive as about 8.4 GB.
I suggest the Promise Ultra100 controller card (PCI slot). It allows for
four IDE devices up to 128 GB each. I have bought and installed quite a few
of them with great success on drives of 20, 30, and 46 GB. The last one I
bought was from Insight.com for about $38. This will allow you to continue
using the smaller drive. Just set the jumpers as master on the new 20 GB
drive and connect it to the Promise card (first put in the Promise card and
install the drivers in Windows). Then when it boots for the first time use a
boot floppy with fdisk.exe on it and at the A prompt run fdisk. Make sure
you fdisk the correct drive by picking option 5 at the first menu. Better
yet disconnect the data cable to your first drive if you haven't done a lot
of fdisking. New drives must be fdisked and then formatted after a reboot.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
A+ Certified Technician