NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 01:32:43 -0500
Hello there, I'm new to the list and seeking advice.  My son, Ryan - just
turned 3 - was diagnosed a year ago as being allergic to alpha-lactalbumin
(a whey protein).

We are currently just reading labels consistently and he's on an elimination
diet.  It's extremely difficult (as I'm sure you are all aware) but he's
starting preschool in a few weeks and I'm completely dreading the occasional
"oops, I accidentally ate something wrong".

His reaction is mild compared to most.  He reacts with all of the sinus
symptoms, puffy eyes, drainage, etc.  In infancy/toddler years he was
actually diagnosed with Sensory Integration Dysfunction and Aspergers
Syndrome (a form of high-functioning autism).  I fought to have him allergy
tested.  The insurance <<managed care>> finally gave in when he was 2.  I
always suspected dairy, but until we got the results I had NO idea the
extent that whey is included in seemingly "non-dairy" foods.  With the
elimination, all of his autistic-like behaviour and sleep difficulties
vanished.

Getting to the point... what other alternatives are available?  I was
reading about EPD and it seems difficult for a young child.  Is there
another form of immunotherapy for dairy allergies?  Is everyone on this list
on an elimination diet?  And for those of you with children, how do you
avoid group snacks at preschools?  Ryan will be attending Montessori in a
few weeks.  They are aware of his allergy, but the snack system is set up
where the parents volunteer to provide the snacks for one week, each parent
taking turns.  They are all aware of his allergy, but I'm sure that they are
going to miss the "hidden dairy" in many of the snack products, or they are
simply likely to forget or not realize some foods are dairy (butter seems to
be one that is often overlooked).  However, I am providing the school with a
stash of safe foods that they can give Ryan if anything questionable comes
up, but it's always possible they might miss something and he'll get a hold
of something that he shouldn't.

Oh, and 1 more question... is it true that they can "grow out of it"?
Please tell me this is true.  And PLEASE tell me it is soon!

Thanks in advance,
Gail