C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
I. S. Margolis
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:07:40 -0400
I think drug/medicine taking relates to the age and circumstances of the
person.

Through my six-seven years of chronic pain (perhaps some day I'll
reintroduce myself) circa 1987-1994 I learned no merit badges were awarded
for suffering and diminished abilities.  Probably taking pain injections and
drugs during those long agonizing years kept me going, relatively sane, and
possibly from committing suicide.

Like many in this often absurd culture with distorted values of personal
worth I had to be convinced that I wasn't morally or courageously weak,
intellectually flawed, less capable of self reliance or somehow less a man
and person because medicine helped me through the day.  Indeed, medicine
helped  me gain some part of a day that I would have been compelled to
relinquish.  The problem was finding the right medicines.

S.