C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:59:20 -0400
I know I am talking about two separate issues here but I feel that I
should combine them.

First on the openness:  My parents have always supported me for what I
have attempted however, I feel at times my mother still has not fully
grasped my disability.  Sometimes I believe she can not fully comprehend
when I get down on myself.  Or could it be that she wants to still
protect me from the full magnitude of the situation?  Even though I
realize the full extent?

As for my dad for some strange reason he does seem to understand my
trials and tribulations better in life.  But the funny thing is I
entertained the idea of possibly moving out for going to college.  He
did not even want to discuss it.  One more example we were on our way to
the swimming pool.  While we were driving down we noticed that we were
running low on gas.  He then told me we were going to the gas station
first.  I said why don't you drop me off at the swimming pool first.

First he said "I don't want you to drown".  Then I said I'm 22 years
old.  Then he said "but your handicapped".  (I can swim on my own).  To
suave his nervous I assured him I wouldn't go to the deep end.  So he
did drop me off at the pool

I don't know sometimes I think its better for me to move out.   But then
that would require using my future nestegg to get an own place.  (As I
said in a past e mail I am Not eligible for SSI.)  So my DHR counselor's
hands are tied.  He does a lot of talking but nothing else.  Plus I'm
scared about moving out.  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On mentoring:

I did some thinking about it last night.  But being a mentor would
require that I put myself in the shoes of the other person I'm trying to
help.  Is putting myself in another person's shoes the right thing to
do?

That would be almost like my mother in some respects trying to grasp my
disability but not really knowing the trials and tribulations I face.  (
At least with you all we all are someway related in the cp field either
by working in this field, being effected by  cp, or parents of children
effected by cp.)  I guess what I'm asking myself is: do I have a right
to tell this person I'm counseling or mentoring how he/she should feel
or how he should approach life even though I know nothing about his/her
disability or problems?   Just a thought

Jan

PS:  About the nestegg without going into numbers its big enough to
start my life.