C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:15:22 -0400
I think that mentorship is a fantastic idea. My son is only 3 and a half but I am here on this list (and others) to learn and gain perspective on the disability world. It has helped me immeasureably already to chat with all of you and gain a sense that anything is still possible for him in his future. Like any parent I want what's best for him and some ideas on how to help make that happen. When he is older I would like him to be able to speak directly with teens and adults who have dealt with those issues of discrimination, ridicule, uncertainty... and not just survived but triumphed.

Just for a change in perspective: We went to a birthday party last evening with the boys. Typical 3-year-old party - cake, candles, balloons, presents... The parents sat around and chatted while the children laughed, played and had a great time. The party was for a little boy with leukodystrophy. The other children there all have special needs : Menke's, Asperger's, CP. And our NDA son Bobby (also 3 and a half). Bobby wanted to know why he HAD to walk and the other kids all got to be carried! :-)

Yvonne
Mommy to 3.5 year-old triplets (born at 30 weeks):
Robert (NDA), Anthony (mod. spastic quad CP)
and our angel, Joseph {April 14 /97 - Dec. 31/ 98}
(cerebral atrophy, sev. CP, CVI, Infantile spasms, spina bifida, BPD...)