C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:14:56 -0400
Hi, Dina

I can answer this from a personal point of view. I have Crohn's Disease - a bowel disorder ( I won't go into the gory details). suffice it to say, when I gotta go, I gotta go! I have been refused bathroom access in businesses such as you describe (banks, offices, etc.). As far as I was able to determine only certain public places are required to provide BR access ie restaurants, bars, gas stations, etc. It has something to do with how much time the public spends at the establishment. Malls only need to provide facilities based on square footage of retail space. I never got a clear answer re who decides this stuff.

I have found some people can be very understanding - others can be jerks about it. I've learned where I can go and where it's a hassle ( and so I just don't go there if I'm having a bad day). Of course, I am AB, in the mobility sense of the word. :-) For w/c accessability it would be another story. I think this may even be part of the issue. In Canada, for a public washroom, there must be an approved w/c accessible set-up. So if they can't offer that maybe they can't offer anyone access to their facilities.

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/01/00 12:30PM >>>
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not a business place like a post
office or a bank is in violation of the ADA laws by refusing entrance to the
restrooms for a disabled person?

Here's a common scenario: I have gone into a bank or a post office and I have
asked if I can use the restroom since I NEEDED to use one ASAP or risk the
chances of an accident. I have been refused because "they don't have a
bathroom on the premises," but that I should be able to go the restaurant or
whatever other store nearby instead. I have told them that my bladder is
close to bursting. Usually this happens when I have had a long drive, and
have drunk enough water for my bladder to need to go URGENTLY ASAP. I am at
these places because of business purposes, not as a convenient place to stop
and ask.

If I could do that without any problem, I wouldn't be asking them for their
"exclusive bathroom."  Have any of you encountered this and what do you do
about this? Is there a definite way to find out if they are in violation or
not?

Thanks,

Dina