C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:59:39 EDT
Gopher,  ;_)

There's a supported living conference in early October every year in
Sacramento, CA. This is for anybody who works with people with developmental
disabilities and also for the clients. I am a client. I have been to 3 of
them now, and they are great.  It's a two day affair, and there are small
seminars both days. All kinds of topics ... one of the biggest this year was
Dave Hinklesburg's seminar titled "SEX? But I THOUGHT..."  In this years
seminar, Dave brought us many wonderful stories. including the story of
possibly the first couple, both with Down's syndrome, who adopted a baby.
Nobody else wanted the baby who was also aDown's baby, they took her home and
helped her get well. When she was well, the adoption people came and said,
"thanks for helping" and wanted to give the baby to a ab couple. Well, the
parents fought that in court. they said" Nobody wanted her when she was sick,
you wanted to let her die. We made her get well, we gave her her life..." the
court agreed! and now the baby is a beautiful little girl.

there was also a story about a boy with Autism, and how his parents
discovered he responded to a puano. They got him a piano, and  within weeks
he was playing bach & betovan, and then one day he started playing things
they'd never heard ... they called his teacher, she came over and listened,
and said "he has gone where only  a few have gone before, he has actually
composed this piece. well the boy grew into a man, and a few years ago he won
an award for his music and he formed his own orchestra that consists of
people with DD!  I wish I could have heard his name, but I can probability
find out.