From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:52:48 -0500

This cookbook of nut desserts got mixed reviews- actually split 50/50, but
leaning towards liking it.

The first response I didn't think to save, but they were put off by the use
of raw egg yolks in some of the recipes and never used the cookbook.

The second person complained of not being able to find the right kind of
nut grinder and went on to say:  "I imagined the author wanted to do a
cookbook of Austrian nut cake recipes--fair enough--and then some editor
came in and said they should aim for the wheat intolerance and wheat
allergy market, but then they didn't bother to do their research very well.
The "educational" part about wheat-free diets, thus, is annoyingly filled
with errors.  Every recipe takes great care to specify that we dust pans
with spelt flour and use, not butter, but "lactose-free margarine", since
celiacs cannot tolerate dairy either (tell that to Bette Hagman and most of
the gluten-free vendors!)   Oh, well.  None of this means that you won't
find good and unique recipes in the book, especially if you know how to
work around certain instructions and enjoy labor-intensive cooking (I do)."

Then the news got better:

>"... I love this book. I bought it in '97 just after diagnosis and it
>is wonderful! The cakes are not that hard to make and taste
>scrumptious.  My guests loved what I made from it and couldn't believe
>it was GF.  I think you will enjoy it."

and simply, "Great book, Mary.  Enjoy!"

A couple of people wrote to thank me for the post and that they planned to
order the book.  I hope they like it- caveat emptor!  I think I will get
it, too.

Mary in Ithaca, NY

Mary Thorpe
Lab Coordinator