C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mariana Ruybalid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:38:09 -0700
Christene,
                I am fifty-years-old, and having cp, I've been around it
all my life.  I have seen several people who have been labeled
"hopelessly retarded" when they were small children who
have graduated from college, become good parents and
live independent lives.  Since the way some people
measure IQ in small children is based on motor skills
development, the kid with cp. won't do as well.
        We can use labels to get better services, but we
must choose not to get stuck with the labels
that aee not helpful and limit our development.
Mariana Ruybalid