Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:57:58 EST

  I asked for help concerning a 2 year old who has been gluten free for a year
but his villi have not healed.  His original blood work had tested very high
for cd but now the blood tests normal.

  I will pass this info on to the mother who asked me to post the question.
Many people suspect the boy is still ingesting gluten.  He does go to a
baby-sitter so this is a possibility.

  Other people say it might take a long time to heal.  I had always thought
that a young child would heal quickly versus we who lived decades before
diagnosis.  But I am no expert.

  Others suggested that the child might be intolerant of dairy or soy.
Apparently, these intolerances can damage the villi also.  The child is
having no symptoms though.  Does anyone know if there are tests for dairy or
soy intolerance?  It seems too risky to just try something (like taking him
off dairy) and keep doing biopsies on the child to find out how his villi are
doing.

   The good news is that this child was extremely sick before diagnosis (the
parents thought they were going to lose him), but since the diagnosis of
celiac, he has thrived.  There is this mystery of the villi not recovering
though.

  Thanks to all who responded!