From:
Marge Johannemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:07:03 -0500

Mike;

Well stated! I too know that these grains in themselves are gluten free.
Anything can be cross contaminated in the field, mill or processing
plant, even rice, corn and the other basic grains we depend upon. Why
these nutritious grains are so maligned is a mystery to me. Grain
chemists keep telling us over and over that these grains are gluten
free, but we continue with our discussion.

I also agree that it is good to use the list serve as a vehicle to learn
from others experience, but when it comes to determining the gluten free
status of products based on opinions, we will continue to be confused
and paranoid about our diet. Reliable information is never based on
consensus or antidotal information, but rather from those sources who
are knowledgeable scientifically.

It is very easy to call the manufacturer and ascertain whether a product
is gluten free, much easier than taking a pole. If a manufacturer will
not give the information, than don't use the product. It's really pretty
simple.

Bravo to you Mike for your very on target statement!

Marge in Louisville