From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 18:28:59 -0500
From: Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 12:17 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Dual Simms board

> I am working on a  old 486 board. This was one is probably circa 95-96
and
> has a AMD486DX100  in it. There are two 72 pin simms  being used and
four
> 30 pin simms slots unused. As I recall dual simm slots and pin
adaptors
> were pretty common back then so that users did not have to get rid of
their
> old 30 pin simms.
>
> Does anyone recall if it was common to use both 72 and 30
> simultaneously...or were there particular requirements that had to be
met?
> ....or was it depends on the board ? What were the issues ?

I had a similar board once.  I'm pretty sure that the requirements were
different depending on the board.  The second 72-pin slot and the four
30-pin SIMMs shared a bank so that you could use both 72-pin slots or
the four 30-pin slot individually or you could use the 30-pin slots and
ONE 72-pin slot, but not the other.  Since the 30-pin SIMMs had parity,
when you used both sets of slots, the 72-pin SIMM had to be parity or
you had to turn off parity checking in the BIOS to get it to work.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html