From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:37:07 -0600
I had a similar problem with my 32X Creative - actually manufactured by
Matshita.  When I would try to read a large (>100MB) file off a CD, my
whole system would lock up.  This happened consistently until I changed
the Supplemental Cache Size setting for my CD-ROM to 726KB - down from
the approximately 1250KB maximum setting.  Maybe this would help with
your problem as well.

To change this setting go to Control Panel.  Choose System, then
Performance tab.  Click on File System then choose the CD-ROM tab.  Move
the Supplemental Cache Size slider to the left.