From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:01:45 -0600
From: Jose E. Dominguez <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2000 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] creating new HD partition

> You can do what you want without loosing a thing with Partition Magic.
>
> David Hurst wrote:
>
> > I have a 20 GB hard disk, now containing about 3 GB worth of
> > programs and data.  Is it possible NOW to create another logical
> > drive (D) without losing what is currently on the hard disk ?  Have
> > seen the recent traffic about formatting/reformatting, but not sure
> > if that is the same situation I am interested in...

Yes, you can do this with Partition Magic or similar add-on programs.
There is a similar program called FIPS which is free under the GNU
GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (GPL) and comes with Linux distributions.  It is
used to make an existing partition smaller by rewriting the partition
table on the hard disk and creating a new partition in the left-over
space.  You MUST read the instructions that come with FIPS and be aware
that it is not an easy program to use but it does work in this case.

If you want to use the tools you already have - FDISK - you will have to
back up the 3GB you have and reload it once the new partitions are in
place.  FDISK will destroy the contents of the current partition when it
creates the new, smaller ones.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html