CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 13:30:52 -0700
Microsoft and Bill Gates are not topics that I can become passionate about.
I think the DoJ actions against Microsoft are about preventing market
failure.  A band-aid on capitalism. Perhaps a convergence of factors as in
the NATO bombing of Serbia.
There may be several potential market failures with Microsoft as ground
zero. Maybe Alan Greenspan simply was successful in whispering into
someone's ear about letting some air out of Microsoft's stock price before
it implodes and brings the whole NASDAQ down. The Microsoft situation is
well understood in terms of market dynamics and hardly anyone other than
impassioned ideologues will argue that its market position and actions are
'good'.