C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 18:59:55 -0400
I was mainstreamed from 1st grade on... make sure Brianna's IQ was tested
against other "normal" students her age, and not other C.P. students, as I
got older the school Social Worker informed me they used to test me against
other C.P. children my age, and then test me again against other "normal"
children.

Does Brianna have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)? If, so, discuss
this at your next IEP meeting, they can not keep Brianna back if you do not
want them too.... I also do not understand why they will keep Brianna back
because she's a grade level behind in reading, isn't that what those ILA
classes are for? Plenty of TAB kids are behind a grade level in reading and
they make it to the next grade.

Sorry, I just saw the last paragraph about the IEP meeting. If you feel
strongly about mainstreaming her in 3rd grade, then do it... you can always
tutor her if she starts to fall behind... Mother knows best, do not second
guess yourself, you know more about your child than those teachers ever
will.