BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Popkin Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 15:07:17 -0400
HEHarendza wrote on 5/12/2000:

        "From what I understand, the woodpeckers are attracted to the hollow
sound,
        which mimics the hollow sound of dead trees, their natural habitat."

        And from what I understand, it's the males trying to make the
loudest, most resonant sound possible, in hope of attracting females.  He
who pecks loudest, pecks highest in the order.  I guess that would tie in
nicely with the tallest column in the wood world discussion.  Style of your
choice.

        You can look up more on woodpeckeers and other varmints in
Outwitting Critters,  an interesting little book about all those animals so
frequently mentioned in these zoological sidebars.

        Bruce Popkin