C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:40:14 EST
Joy:

Your experience at Hecht's was awful and nobody should be treated that way.
The saleswoman should have just asked your father why was he in there? That
would have been a valid question and it would protect you and the store.
Yelling at both of you was very insensitive and it made things worse when she
petted you on the head and calling you crippled.

I believe getting an apology is not good enough. You are an adult and should
be treated like one. All of us should be treated with respect and dignity.

Will you go back to Hecht's?  If you do or do not that is up to you.  I would
write a letter to the manager and let him know how you feel. I would even
suggest sensitivity training for all his employees. The saleswoman that
petted you on the head and said she did not know you were crippled in front
of people should be made to apologize to you. This may happen to others if
you don't try to educate them.

You are not overreacting and I hope you feel better.

Stephen Allman