C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:28:00 -0500
Precious little, Magenta.  I work for Franklin County, where Columbus (the
capitol) is located.  Things aren't bad here--we have home health nursing
offered by the health dept., curb cuts on all the downtown sidewalk
intersections, "kneeling" buses, cut-rate transportation on the metro bus
system, plenty of government and academic jobs for the disabled.  The story
changes pretty dramatically where I live, though, in a rural area.  Few, if
any, services are provided at the small-town level or in the larger cities
oriented toward industry (e.g., Cleveland, Youngstown).

There's a lot of reliance on (and pressure to contribute to) United Way
agencies.

UCP in the area is worthless (IMO), as is the State Bureau of Vocational
Rehabilitation.

Mental Health / Mental Retardation services are actually quite good---even
at the local level  (I was on my county's Mental Health Board for a term and
we did remarkable things with limited funds (<$100K/year).

-Kyle