From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 08:52:01 -0700
>Hi, all.
>
>Here is quite an in-depth study about hormonal responses depending on the
>supplement,
>that was ingested after workout:
>http://parrillo.com/sng/sngb59.htm
>
>They compared supplements of either  carbs alone, protein alone or a
>combination of
>carbs and protein.
>They observed insulin, growth hormone, testosterone etc. levels for several
>hours
>after the workout.
>The conclusion they got: carb-protein combination works best in terms of
>insulin AND
>growth hormone release.
>
>Mateja
>
>PS: I am not a bodybuilder and do not have an opinion on this subject at all.

        They did not do a study on eating something with fat and protein(meat)
only. Maybe this is because it doesn't make a very palatable protein bar?
Not surprisingly they are trying to sell the perfect combo bar of carbs and
protein. These "health" bars are made from partially hydrogenated oils,
cheap milk and soy proteins, artificial fats and sugars, and God knows what
else. As yet I haven't found anything in nature that has a considerable
combination of protein and carbs like these supplements do.
        Also notice that testosterone is decreased when any of these things were
ingested. I think testosterone alone is more important for muscle growth
then growth hormone.
        Personally, I have found eating meat by itself or with a salad as a post
workout meal to be the best for recovery. A couple hours after this I might
have a carb meal of a frozen berry mixture. Maybe I can find a way to
package and market this awesome "supplement" and make millions?
        The supplement  bars being sold today are nothing more than candy bars
with vitamins, more artificial ingredients than the real thing, and triple
the cost!

Dave