From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 08:25:14 CDT
"Unfortunately, the more insulin in the bloodstream, the less growth hormone
will be released regardless of the intensity of your anaerobic training.
This means that all of the hormonal benefits of anaerobic exercise can be
quickly undone by a high-carbohydrate sports "energy" drink consumed just
after exercise."

I disagree with this.  With myself and others, I have found this to be
false.  For example, when I was training w/o steroids, but using other
supplementary drugs, I found my body recovered much quicker when I injected
Humilin-R (fast acting insulin) and ate a lot of carbs for my post workout
meal.  And when I wasn't taking insulin, I found that simply eating a high
glycemic meal enhanced my recovery ability as well.

The argument that insulin inhibits growth hormone release could be countered
with the fact that insulin also inhibits cortisol.  And anyway, I find it
hard to believe that even if a high insulin producing meal could inhibit GH
release for the first 3-4 hours of post workout, surely the body would start
cranking out the GH as insulin began to clear from the bloodstream.

Now, I'm talking about eating for athletic performance, not health.  If
you're trying to balance health with bodybuilding goals, then eating a more
sensible, low-glycemic meal post workout would be better.  But, if you don't
care about health and you just want to pack on some beef, then reach for the
pretzels for your post workout meal.

~Justin Hasselman