C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:29:38 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Stephanie Thomas
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 6:46 AM
To: micasa-list
Subject: MiCASSA & how you can help

We are now in the building phase for MiCASSA, S. 1935.  With the recent
attacks on Title II of the ADA in the Supreme Court it is more important
than ever that we push for MiCASSA.

MICASSA MEDIA KICK OFF
Senators Harkin and Specter are planning to hold a kick off press event
call attention to the bill.  As soon as we have this date we will let
you
know.  For those who are in striking distance of DC it would be great to
turn people out at the DC event.  For the rest of us, we can help
increase
the impact of this event by holding similar events in our own
communities:

Three possibilities for an event you could do are:

1) hold a press conference at your local ILC.
2) hold a press conference in the home of someone who is now receiving
community services but once was in a nursing home or ICF - MR.
3) hold a press conference by the bedside of someone in a nursing home
and
wants out but can't get services.

Obviously in each of these cases you will need to get permission from
your
"host."

At the very least you can issue a press release.

GIVE IT A LOCAL TWIST: Any numbers or personal stories that can tie the
national bill and give it a local twist will help ensure coverage by the
media.  How many people are on waiting lists for Medicaid community
based
services in your states?  How many people are in nursing homes or other
institutions in your state?  Who are 3 people who want out but can't get
out, or have gotten out and are living in their own homes with services?

As I said before as soon as we have a date we will let you know.

PERSONAL STORIES
We also need personal stories from individuals in these situations.
These
stories do not need to be much longer than a page.  They should include
couple of specific details like: How did/do the institution or nursing
home
rules restrict the person's life?  What are example of lousy conditions
(food, smell, lack of privacy -- but give specific details)?  How
did/does
institutional living impact on the person's dignity?  Then contrast this
with how the community life is an improvement.  Concrete examples make a
story more real.  We need round one of these stories by March 1st.  We
will
need more though, as we move along, so make a practice of collecting
them
from people you come across.

SENATE VISITS
The other thing we need to be doing is visiting both the Senators from
our
states and familiarizing them with S. 1935.  You should have an updated
summary of the bill, questions and answers on the bill, as well as
several
other flyers on how it will impact, seniors & children, talking points,
etc.
If you need any of these updated handouts (you can tell if they are the
updated ones by if there is one S or 2 in MiCASSA), or if you need
information on contacting your Senators  e-mail or call 512/442-0252.
Ask
to meet with the Senator, or his/her staff person who works on health
and
human service issues; right now meeting with staff is just as good since
they are usually more involved in background and details and may well
have a
better grasp of the issues involved. Once you meet with the Senators or
their staff let us know who you met with and how it went.

NATIONAL ADAPT MAILING LIST - Adapt MiCASA List of Adapt Organizers.