From:
Harlene Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:51:40 -0500

Hello all,

After the cream of rice posts, I thought I would add my own creation to
the hot cereals.  This is my first winter as a known celiac and I am
strongly missing my oatmeal (used to eat the steel cut oats).  I have
never liked the texture of cream of rice and turning celiac has not
magically changed this. So here is my recipe (very loose on quantities)
for mock oatmeal.

Adjust amounts as seems reasonable.  I have not measured any of this
out; it's not an exact recipe in that sense.

Take some already cooked rice (I use brown).  Add about double the
amount of water and recook.  When the rice is mushy (about 10-15
minutes), add more water if needed and sprinkle in some cream of rice to
thicken.  It will start to have the texture of oatmeal.  Add salt and
sugar to your taste.  Any other gf additives like raisins or nuts, if
you like.

I make several days supply at once and keep in the refrigerator.  A bowl
microwaves nicely.

Harlene Caroline