From:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:01:31 -0500

I appreciate that in one measure we are dependent on the information of
others as to the status of a food product. My thanks to Tom Valinote for
summarizing the 20 Responses. However, our opinion doesn't change the
reality of the food product.  Buckwheat is a member of the rhubarb
family and millet branched off on its own tree of the grasses family
eons ago so that its protein does not contain the gluten celiacs cannot
tolerate.

We must distinguish between gluten containing food products derived from wheat,
rye, oats, barley and their closely related grains and other food
products people have problems with. A basic gluten free diet must NOT
contain gluten either directly from the grains or their by-products or
cross-contamination in the food manufacturing process. It is very
considerate by many people and groups that celiacs are being alerted to
other food products that have caused problems. These other (non-gluten)
problem foods have nothing to do with the basic nature of celiac disease.

We can share our opinions in a poll and it is useful to find out what experience
others have had. But this only shows our consensus or our difference on
an issue.  We know that buckwheat will and cannot cause a celiac
reaction. It may cause another reaction because a person cannot digest
this protein form. However, if contaminated with one of the offending
grains, then the contaminated buckwheat/grain mixture will cause a
celiac reaction.

Mike
(To live with a celiac is to discover a whole new world of pure food and
nutritional science)