From:
susan bartulevicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:18:38 -0500

---Hello! Here are the replies that I received to my question regarding
how to make yellow cakes lighter, instead of the spongy we have been
getting: I found a cake called the Strauss Waltz Butter Cake on the
internet a few years ago and changed it a wee bit and it is not spongy
in the least.

GF Strauss Waltz Butter Cake - orig posted on Celiac Listserve - chgd
slightly by Barb E.

Preheat oven to 375 deg.

Mix with wire wisk in medium bowl:
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup minus 2 T rice flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum

Cream in large bowl:
1 stick plus 2 T butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup applesauce

Add the dry ingredients to creamed ingredients and mix well with mixer.
Pour into greased 10" tube pan, 2-9" cake pans, or 10" x 14" cake pan
and spread evenly.  Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out
clean.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then turn upside onto plate after
loosening with knife.  I think it has something to do with using the
cornstarch with the rice flour.

--I just recently tried "Cause You're Special yellow cake mix and it was
delicious!  Their web site is www.causeyou'respecial.com Hope this
helps!   --Julie

--Might want to dry leaving out one of the egg yolks & adding an extra
white.  You can achieve different textures in bread & cookies that way,
and should work in cakes as well. Bev

--Here is a recipe I copied a few days ago.  Didn't try it yet.  Dont
know if it is the same than you tried.  Here it is:

YELLOW CAKE

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Submitted by: Amy Basic and easy, and very
versatile. Layer with white or chocolate frosting,strawberries and
whipped cream, etc. Make sure your baking powder is
gluten-free.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

    Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour
two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.  2 Mix the white rice flour, tapioca
flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set
aside. 3 Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour
mixture,
milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans. 4
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done
when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted
near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if
desired.

Makes 2 -8 or 9 inch layers.  Good luck, Mireille

--I do not think you can get cakes that are less spongy using the GF
flours, at least none of the ones I have tried have been.  I am lucky in
that as a child I always preferred the sponge cakes but sometimes I want
a plain yellow cake too.

--Did you separate the eggs, whip the whites and fold them in? Janet

Many thanks to Barb, Julie, Bev, Mireille, "Opie", and Janet!! Susa