CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:20:10 -0800
Tony Abdo wrote:
>Never heard of The Professor, Michael.    But he is certainly right on.
>The overwhelming 'free speech' in capitalist culture, is in fact, paid
>speech.

Stanley Fish argues that all speech has consequences. Now I
might think that Tony's past performance as a genocide denier
should warn me to not read his posts. However, after
reinstalling a mail client without explicitly filtering certain
individuals to trash, I'm granting him an opportunity to again
assail my attention.

Tony, the question posed by F. Leon Wilson was "Is there ever a
time when the rights of a human being should be limited in the
areas of the expressing of ones personal feeling and ideas?
What limits should be placed on free speech?"

If at some point Tony would like to actually address the
question I'd consider reading his response.

>So here's my answer to the original question..... What limits should be
>placed on free speech?.....   Support all individuals' free speech and
>squash it unmercifully when it pertains to corporate entities.     I
>don't want free speech for Coke and Pepsi.

Interesting!