NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Direct questions about this LIST to one of the following listowners. Contact should be in the order shown.
Show Table of Contents

Jon Lewis
Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:23:39 -0400
I'm curious if any of you who are highly sensitive to dairy have tried
this (without allergic reaction)? My concern is, if this is made on
shared equipment, the possibility of cross-contamination. In the FAQ on
their web site, they say:

"In addition to our Lactose Free Vanilla and Chocolate, our non-dairy
products are suitable for lactose intolerant consumers. These non-dairy
products were formulated to exclude any of type of milk or dairy products
and proper measures are taken to avoid any cross-contamination."
Show Replies 3 Replies
Jon Lewis
Sat, 5 Mar 2016 20:51:43 -0500
Anyone tried this yet? I noticed their NY Cheezecake in a quick trip to
Publix yesterday, and picked one up without doing any real research.
They're in the frozen section. I noticed it had no kosher marking...but
figured with all their stuff being vegan and "dairy-free" it was worth
trying. I was about to contact them to ask about the lack of kosher
certification on this product, when I looked at their FAQ and found:

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Beth Kevles
Wed, 3 Feb 2016 14:41:50 -0500
http://www.boston.com/food-dining/food/2016/02/03/happened-ben-jerry-unveils-four-non-dairy-ice-cream-flavors/3r1lzqB516Ur04j8GCkP1J/story.html?p1=story_hp
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jon Lewis
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 07:45:20 -0400
For years, Smart Balance (in the smallest size tub) has been my dairy-free
margarine of choice. Last time I looked to buy some more just a few days
ago, I noticed that they seem to have reformulated it and expanded their
product line. The Publix I was in must have had at least half a dozen
different varieties of Smart Balance in that small size tub. The normal
Smart Balance now has milk in it. IIRC, there was a Smart Balance Light
and an Organic Light that were both still Ou, but my experience in the
past with Smart Balance

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Jon Lewis
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:55:13 -0500
I just read that several varieties of Girl Scout cookies are now vegan,
but are still only Ou-D certified. According to the manufacturer's FAQ:

Do all Girl Scout cookies contain milk?

No. ABC Baker's Peanut Butter PattiesÂ, Thin Mints, Thanks-A-Lot® and
Lemonades Girl Scout Cookies do not contain milk, although Peanut
Butter Patties® and Cranberry Citrus Crisps are produced on equipment
where products containing milk are also made.

[More ...]
No Replies
Food Intolerances
Sun, 26 May 2013 14:20:51 -0400
Memorial Weekend ONLY: FREE Food Intolerance Kits (Your Choice of Kits!)

Celebrate this Memorial Weekend Holiday by being relieved from ill-health... with FREE food intolerance screening kits!

YOUR CHOICE!

FREE 96-Food IgG ELISA Food Intolerance Kit

OR...

FREE 4-Food IgA Food Intolerance Screening Kit

1). Receive one (1) FREE 96-Food IgG ELISA Food Intolerance Screening Kit (www.bettercontrolofhealth.com/panels.html) with every two (2) 96-Food IgG ELISA Food Intolerance Screening Kits ordered between Saturday, May 25, 2013 - Monday, May 27, 2013... This is a $379.00 value ABSOLUTELY FREE!*

[More ...]
No Replies
Food Intolerances
Fri, 17 May 2013 14:33:51 -0400
Headaches and Lactose Intolerance versus Milk Intolerance

As many people are already aware, lactose is a sugar found in bovine milk and other dairy products. Lactose intolerance is when the small intestine either does not make enough or any at all of the enzyme lactose (aka - lactase), which the body requires in order to properly digest lactose.

[More ...]
No Replies
Beth Kevles
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 14:54:40 -0500
I just received a message from a British visitor to my web site. Apparently
some cows have been bred to make milk that eliminates the A1 variant of
casein, leaving the A2 variant intact. My visitor says that her son, who
has milk protein allergy, tolerates this milk, but not other cows' milks.

[More ...]
No Replies
Eric Schlesinger
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:24:06 -0400
I recently saw the ads for Yoplait Lactose Free Yoghurt. Being
skeptical, but interested, I waited til the weekend to try it - just in
case of side-effects, I wanted to be home.
I am pleasantly surprised to say that I have consumed a little container
of it - 6 oz. I think - completely without symptoms. By now, if there
were more than a trace, I'd be having symptoms, as I'm pretty intolerant.
My wife tasted it and says it's as good as the regular Yoplait - never
having been able to taste it, I'll take her word for

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
Jon Lewis
Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:34:51 -0500
I was recently in a kosher foods store and picked up a bunch of bars of
parve dark chocolate for "baking". I wasn't paying attention to the label
except for checking for the parve marking and no warnings about possible
dairy contamination...but it turns out, these bars use hydrogenated oils
instead of cocoa butter. The result is, eating them is like eating
chocolate flavored crisco. They coat your mouth/teeth, and stick with you
for a long time.

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Eric Schlesinger
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:45:47 -0700
Hello,

I will be traveling to Oslo, Norway, during the week of June 20th. During that time I should have periodic access to email, but none to voice mail. I will try to respond as quickly as possible, but it may not be till after I return to my office on the 27th of June.

[More ...]
No Replies
Illene Smith
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:45:18 -0400
I need to switch emails and I know there is a way to start the other one and
quit this email but I need to know the exact command. I tend to screw it up
trying to do it by memory. Can someone help?
-Ilene
Show Replies 1 Reply
Molly R Johnson
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:35:36 -0500
So glad this list is still up and going. I occasionally think of things to ask everyone on here but never seems important enough. Anyways, I am also traveling to France and Germany. I looked up dairy allergy travel info, and found a lot of good advice. But I am wondering if anyone knows of a place to have it translated before I go over, that way I can laminate it before I go and have it ready. I'm leaving next week Thursday. Its more important for France, I'll only be in Germany for 2 days. But 2 days of

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Beth Kevles
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:41:02 -0400
There seems to be a new way to diagnose milk allergy in infants. A
summary can be found in http://www.diagnosticimaging.com. The abstract
of the scientific article is at the American Journal of Roentgenology:
http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/abstract/196/6/W817

The Diagnostic Imaging article's title and author:

Doppler Ultrasound Spots Milk Allergy in Babies
By Todd Neff | June 15, 2011

Interesting,
--Beth Kevles
Webmaster, Eating without Casein
http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html
Show Replies 1 Reply
Steph
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:34:28 -0500
Please remove~!
Show Replies 4 Replies
Summer Rudder
Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:09:38 -0500
From: Jack Campin - bogus address <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 18:31:14 GMT

I just made this. Pretty simple. I used a small ice-cream maker
of the type where you put a jacketed container in the freezer for
a few hours, then take it out and churn your mixture for about 20
minutes using an electric churn that clips on to it. (Ours is a
Magimix type DV model 11047, if that helps). I presume the jacket
is filled with something like calcium chloride or sodium sulfate
solution.

[More ...]
No Replies
Kim Phoenix
Thu, 8 May 2008 09:07:32 -0400
Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List <[log in to unmask]> on Thursday,
May 08, 2008 at 12:49 AM -0500 wrote:
>does anyone know if there are any dairy ingredients in the drug
>Lopressor?
>My son is having a reaction to the drug. Thanks for your help.
>
>Stefanie
>

>**************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on
>family
>favorites at AOL Food.
>(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

CANCEL THESE - I KEEP GETTING THEM
No Replies
Weavre Cooper
Tue, 6 May 2008 15:44:01 -0400
Hello, everyone,

My allergist suggested I look into whether I'd want to try Xolair
(Omalizumab), and said that if I do, he'll undertake the apparently
necessary series of arguments with my insurance company to get the expensive
drug covered. I've read the patient information brochure and the prescribing
information, which are helpful - but also are not quite informative enough.
I have a severe dairy allergy, with anaphylactic response triggered by
inhalation or ingestion, and dermatologic response triggered by contact. My
allergy is much better controlled than it once was, but because I refuse to
stay hidden away at home

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
Robyn Kozierok
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:48:01 -0400
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/harrydavid04_08.html

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE* -- April 4, 2008 -- Harry and David, of Medford,
Oregon, is voluntarily recalling approximately 66,500 8 oz. bags of Harry
and David Chocolate Covered Select Blend Espresso Beans because they may
contain milk not declared on the ingredient statement. People who have an
allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or
life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.
No Replies