NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:26:07 -0400
I have to agree with Julianne.  The majority of dessert recipes can be made
without milk.  You can substitute rice or soy milk for cow's milk and a
dairy free margarine or just plain (canola) oil for butter or shortening.

One caveat: anything that requires rolling, e.g. pie crusts, Christmas
cookies, should not be made with an oil substitute.  It will be edible but
difficult to roll and the pie crust is dense.

Stick to homemade crusts using a traditional recipe and lard: you will have
a fantastic crust; frozen commercial crusts often have milk in them.

I generally avoid desserts, however, that call for cream as soy cream is
harder to find but I did make a great pumpkin pie using soy milk and soy
cream.

You can also check out vegan websites for endless options.  You won't be
able to make all desserts, but many just the same!