RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 01:52:57 -0500
Ellie:
>> > I'm a bit confused. I thought a previous post said that freezing kills
>> these parasites. I've been eating Boston mackerel liver (unfrozen), and
>> perhaps should stop?

Jean-Louis:
>I am a bit confused too, about freezing. Maybe it depends about the
>temperature? Or perhaps it refers to what the previous post said:

Desowitz:
>But now, as the iced fish cooled, some of the larvae were prodded into a
>migratory movement to seek the somewhat warmer protection of the
>musculature.  Thus the green herring was now more likely to contain a worm."

My guess is that freshly caught fish are chilled with ice on the fishing
boats but not frozen long enough to kill the parasites which is why when
they migrate from the gut to the muscle in some fish like herrings, they
are able to hang out and survive there. I forget the source but I have been
told that animal foods have to be frozen for at 2-3 days for the parasites
to die. It might be prudent for somebody with compromised immune systems
and new to these foods to initially eat these foods thawed - especially if
the source and quality of the animals are dubious. Otherwise, considering
how few people seem to ever be bothered by parasites in raw fish or other
RAF's, it seems to me to be a safe bet for most of us to eat them unfrozen.
Having said this my friend who has been sustaining himself for many years
mainly on RAF's and ROF's still plays it safe by eating most of his foods
thawed.

Best, Peter