RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 09:39:11 +0000
Hi Tom... a few words on your description of the NH diet. I'm no
expert on this by any means, but I've struggled with the idea long
enough to venture a few comments...

Tom wrote:
> * Natural Hygiene - natural hygienists disagree sharply among themselves
> regarding the details of natural hygiene. A diet of raw fruits, vegetables,
> nuts, seeds. The diet is usually vegan, but Tilden (co-founder of natural
> hygiene in modern times) allowed use of non-vegetarian foods. Following a high
> fruit diet is discouraged by most hygienists. However, some who consider
> themselves to be hygienists, advocate high fruit diets.  There is very wide
> variation in diet and health practices among hygienists: e.g. disagreements on
> the use of sprouts, seaweeds, dried fruit, etc.  Some otherwise "orthodox"
> hygienists make occasional use of raw milk/cheese/eggs in their diet (this is
> discussed by Ward Nicholson in the January 1997 issue of the "Health & Beyond"
> newsletter). [P.S. the preceding remarks are intended to show the very wide
> range of hygienic views; it is not meant as criticism.]

Chet replies:
You captured the confusion of NH and diet very nicely and succinctly.

You might want to add the fact that the ANHS now promotes a
predominately raw food diet but also advocates a place for cooked
grains and lightly steamed veggies.

Tilden (as well as other Hygienists who came before him) not only
allowed use of meat but encouraged it, believing that the body
required some flesh. If I remember correctly, he told his patients to
have flesh at least a couple times a week. Serving portion,
interestingly enough, he limited to the size of a silver dollar.

As an aside, Tilden was very big on not overeating... which I'm
personally more and more of a mind to believe lies at least as one of
the keys to success with just about _any_ of the various raw and
cooked food diets. But that's another thread.

As a second aside, since Tilden had such good results with his
program, I surmise that his meat allowance fell within that 3-6%
total of the diet that the China Project statistically shows to be
healthful.

An entire volume, of course, could be written on the subject of the
Natural Hygiene diet, and maybe some day someone will write this
volume because it perhaps could do much to counter the
deficient-ridden Sheltonian diet of "fruit, vegetables, nuts, and
seeds." Between the two major voices of Hygiene -- Shelton and Fry --
an awful lot of bad dietary advice awaits folks who discover raw food
living and eating.

Anyway, Tom, thanks for putting together your file on the types of
raw food diets. Like all your writing, you have again helped each of
us clarify what we're doing and why...

Chet

P.S. Hi Bob7 and Ellie... good to see you on the list! :-)

Enjoy brain-engaging and assumption-busting natural health
articles:  http://chetday.com/