RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roy D'Souza ~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:05:04 -0800
I mentioned the phrase "khom gia khori" to a few
Iranian friends. They had trouble difficulty
parsing it, indicating that it is not a common
phrase. However they agreed on what it meant:

   khom = raw or uncooked
   gia  = vegetables or plants
   khori = eating

They had heard the phrase "gia khori", but
not the entire phrase.
One individual observed that often in Farsi
the phrase "raw food" is used to mean "vegetarian
food."

I then explained to them the concept of raw living
foods and told them about David Wolfe's claim
about raw food habits, customs and communities
in Iran. They looked puzzled: never heard of it.

One particularly knowledgable and articulate
individual (was aware of the concept of raw)
explained the cultural background of the Iranian
people as it relates to food, and told me that
they are all heavily meat- and cooking-based
cultures (Moslem-Persian, Jewish-Persian,
Parsi-Persian, Moslem-Turkish, etc.)
He also corrected the phrase: it is "khAm
giaH khori" (not "khom gia khori".)

This supports my experience with Iranian
restaurants world wide: I usually get a big
bowl of insipid lettuce after I explain my
dietary preferences.

We have our own saying in the Internet raw community:
"another NFL claim flushed down the toilet." :-)

Best,

RoyD