RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeffrey S. Novick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 00:20:50 -0500
Tom:

> I've seen these criticisms but there never seems to be any
> actual evidence to back it up.  All actual evidence seems
> to show the opposite.  These  critics usually just argue
> that no proteins (enzymes being proteins) could
> survive the acids in the stomach, but this is clearly not true.  For
> example, some allergies are believed to be caused by proteins passing
> through intestine walls.  These proteins had to pass through
> the stomach to get to the intestines.

This is quite true, and there is actually quite abit of evidence to back
it up.  One specific area in which this has been studied quite
extensively is in relation to Cystic Fibrosis.  These patients must
receive Pancreatic Enzyme supplements to survive, and quite abit of
research and money has been going on  for quite some time into the
development of special coatings and enzymes that are resistant to
digestion in the stomach.  If you were to do a search in this area, you
would find what you are looking for.

Also, If you missed my posts on digestion on the other raw list, you
would see that only a small percent of protein digestion actually occurs
in the stomach, and mainly that of breaking polyeptides down into
smaller peptides. This is only a preliminary stage for true protein
digestion that takes place in the small intestine.  The enzymes are
destroyed in the stomach, because this initial phase of digestion
renders the enzymes inactive and unusable. However, it is still possible
to have an allergic reaction to any of the remaining smaller peptide
molecules that pass from the stomach into the small intestine.