RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeffrey S. Novick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:55:36 +0000
Judy
> A few days ago, I developed a "floater" in one of my eyes.  I'm wondering if
> it has come about because of some deficiency in my diet.
No.

>  I don't imagine he'll be helpful in pointing
> out the possible cause of the floater.  (Unless it's from rubbing my eyes.)
Probably not to your satisfaction, but he can tell you what is known

> And I have heard from friends that they don't usually go away.  I'm not
> thrilled with this idea, as I'm very visual.
They don;t actually "go away", but you get used to them and they seem to
become less prominent.

> If anyone has any knowledge about what causes floaters or how to prevent
> others in the future (or make this one disappear), I'd appreciate hearing
> from you.

>From The American Academy of Opthalmology:

WHAT CAUSES FLOATERS
The vitreous gel degenerates in middle age, often forming clumps or
strands in the eye.  Vitreous shrinkage or condensation is called
"posterior vitreous detachment", and is a common cause of floaters.  It
also occurs frequently in nearsighted people or in those who have
undergone catarct operations or YAG laser surgery.  Occassionally
floaters result from inflammation within the eye or from crytsal like
deposits  which form in the vitreous gel.  The appearance of floaters
may be alarming. especialy if they develop suddenly.  However, they are
usually nothing to be concerned about, and simple result from the normal
aging process.

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT FLOATERS
Floaters may interfer  with clear vision, often when reading, and can be
quite annoying.  Although there is no treatment or cure for most
floaters, they usually diminish by themselves over time.

I have had them for years.  Developed the first ones when I was a
teenager.  They have never "dimished" over time.   I juust get used to
them and try to ignore their presence.  But if you are ever bored and
lying on the beach, they can be quite entertaining to play with :)

Around the age of 35 (3 years ago) there seemed to be a shift and a few
more developed.  I went and saw three opthamologists and they all agree
with the above  and have never found an alternative point of view.
Ihave done many searches and also never found anyting really helpful.

15 years on a Hygienic diet with many long fasts have no effecting them
in anyway.
And in fact, it makes me more aware of things in general and "conscious"
so sometimes I think I may be more aware of them then before.