RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:57:03 -0500
Jerry, welcome to raw-food!

> It turns out the B12 is made by normal symbiotic bacteria in the colon,
>and is absorbed there.  So if you have healthful colonic bacteria, they
>make all the B12 you can use and you will never have a deficiency problem.

I believe this is a myth.  Even prominent vegan proponents such as Dr.
Michael Klaper, MD recommend that vegans supplement with B12 to avoid
running into deficiencies.  The topic of B12 has been discussed a lot on
this list, and if you search through the  archives, you will find lots of
interesting info on the topic.

>I have been a strict vegan for 5 years, no supplementation, have no signs
>of any deficiiencies, in fact am the healthiest I have ever been. No
>colds, allergies greatly reduced, no headaches, and picture of health in
>general.

You are a true inspiration but note that B12 deficiency often takes many
years to develop.

Best, Peter

PS. What kind of chiropractic do you practice?