RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 12:20:20 +0200 (MET DST)
> Jean-Louis:

> > 1) Juicy fruits do not contain many calories. Suppose a fruit contains
> > roughly 10% sugar and 90% water, then 2 kg will provide only 800 kcal
> > (and we need 2400 kcal/day).

> David:

> Jean-Louis, how did you arrive at 2400kcal/day?

The basal metabolism (the energy that is spent by a naked man, doing
nothing, at 27 degree C, and not during digestion) is on average 1600
kcal/day. Of course, it depends on age, weight, sex. For an old, thin
woman it would be about 1200 kcal/day. Approximately 80% of that
energy is used to keep K+ and Na+ cellular gradients, so that energy
expenditure is unavoidable [that's why I consider that Breatharianism
is impossible]. The only exception is that during a long fast,
due to deep metabolic changes, the basal metabolism is 20% lower than
for a non-fasting person of the same age, weight and sex.

So, of course, 2400 kcal/day corresponds to the needs of an active
young man.

> And to change the subject, is there any reason to think that fertile eggs
> contain less of the anti-nutrients that are normally present in eggs?

No idea.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis