RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elnora Van Winkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 05:57:38 -0800
jean-claude wrote:
> But Elora ,about that , i have some  comments and questions.
> I think when they talk about the fight or flight reaction ,scientists are
> forgetting something, because in my case i choose the freeze reaction. I
> could not experience the anger at the time, so unable to fight,  i could
> not experience the fear ever that was behind,  so unable to fligh,. in a
> seminconscious state, i choose to become numb ,lifeless and freeze( almost
> to death, i stopped secreting cortisol)
> This reaction of freezing is common in Nature among animal who choose that
> means of defense in front of a predator ( they hide and play dead) . it si
> just for them a temporary state followed often by a flight reaction or a
> fight if caught. In my case i just  got immobilised and could not get over
> it with my own means the cortisol shot brought me back to living again.
> So would you have a physiological explanation of what i am talking about?
> I read your writings more than one time, and i know there is something for
> me in it but i can't get a clear picture of what can i do concretelly ,i
> get blank when faced with some emotions. With my wife i get triggered in
> anger or deep hurt and i can't get to choose an other reaction than freezing
> or sometimes yelling ( that helps in the short term but have to face the
> consequences so end up freesing anyway)
> By redirecting the emotions to their primary source what do you means.?
> Yelling to your parents in your own  mind, go outside and chopping wood or
> carving in it,  your mother's face with an axe or what?

Good idea.

> Litterally running away seems to me a good way,  at least it release
> something but is it a lasting release , a true liberation or just a
> temporary one. ? i don't  manage to do it often so i don't know.
> What do you think?
> thanks
> jean-claude

Dear Jean-claude
I had many so-called phsyical crises, like a severe strep throat,
after
an emotional detox crisis. The brain and body detox together.
Yes, most of us had to suppress the fight or flight response (and
freeze) as children. Neurotic fear is a signal of underlying anger
that
wants out.
The brain is periodically trying to detox endogenous neurochemicals
that
store repressed anger, and the self help measures are designed to
speed
up this process, but recognizing exciatatory symptoms, like fear, as
signals of emerging anger.

YOu wrote.
With my wife i get triggered in anger
> or deep hurt and i can't get to choose an other reaction than freezing  or
> sometimes yelling ( that helps in the short term but have to face the
> consequences so end up freesing anyway)
> By redirecting the emotions to their primary source what do you means.?

It's mostly your idea of your mother you have transferred to your
wife.
If you end up yelling at her and it's out of proportion to the
incident
it's misdirected anger, (see my illustration in the article) a sign of
repressed anger related to childhood, and an opportunity to go and
bang
on the bed and get mad at your mother.

you wrote:
at least it release
> something but is it a lasting release , a true liberation or just a
> temporary one. ?

It's a periodic detox process, so it's only a temporary release each
time you do it, but over time all the repressed anger will come out.
Each detox will be less and less intense, and in a few months you will
be what Janov calls post primal ie free of these emotional detoxes.
After about a year, free of anxiety and depression, and addictions,
etc.
And those adrenal problems should clear too.

Please study both of the articles, the short version, and the longer
version--you will get the idea. And please also join the D-A list on
my
site. It's an outgoing non interactive mailing list, but I post
explanatory comments and tips about how to help this along and get
healthy emotionally and physically. I don't post a lot because
everything you need to know is in the articles and archives.
Ellie

Self help for depression is on:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clearpathway/depression.html
The same article entitled Self help for addictions is on:
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Sauna/2579
The longer version entitled Self help for emotional disorders is on:
http://pages.nyu.edu/~er26/depression.html